His educational journey began in Wagga Wagga for high school, followed by his exceptional performance in medicine at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, where he graduated with Honors. His medical career then took him to St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, where he gained practical experience as a doctor.
His specialized training in orthopaedic surgery, accredited by the Australian Orthopaedic Association, encompassed both Australia and the United Kingdom. During his tenure at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in England, he focused intensively on hip and knee replacement surgery. Notably, his training also provided him with the unique opportunity to learn from the esteemed Professor Sir John Charnley, a pioneer in the field of successful hip replacements.
A/Prof Adrian van der Rijt’s commitment to ongoing learning is evident through his active participation in medical conferences held across Australia, the United States, and Europe. He recognizes the dynamic nature of the orthopaedic field, emphasizing the importance of continuous education and research to offer patients the best possible guidance and treatment.
His specialization in hip and knee issues equips him to stay updated with the latest advancements in treating these conditions, reflecting the substantial progress made over the past two decades. His unwavering dedication ensures that he consistently employs the newest and most effective approaches, whether through clinical care or medico-legal assessments.
Accreditations and Schemes:
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Ed
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 5th Ed
- ACT Motor Vehicle
- ACT Workers’ Compensation
- Comcare Guide to the Assessment of Degree of Permanent Impairment
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Fitness For Duty
- Life Insurance – TPD and Income Protection
- Medical Negligence, including Aged Care Claims
- Public and Professional Liability
- WorkSafe Victoria Independent Medical Examiner (IME)