Associate Professor Rao is an expert witness for medico-legal matters and has offered assistance in coronial investigations as well as being a witness at the Magistrate, Family, Children’s and Supreme Court of Victoria. Associate Professor Rao provides expert clinical consultation and training for complex mental health situations.
He has extensive training and background in psychological treatments such as Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Mentalization Based Therapy, and psychodynamic therapies. He has been involved in teaching and training activities for psychiatrists and clinicians of allied health disciplines for 25 years. Associate Professor Rao has published over 70 research papers and co-authored books on Personality Disorders as well as being an invited speaker at many national and international conferences.
In June 2022, Associate Professor Rao was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for his contributions to psychiatry.
Accreditations and Schemes:
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Ed
- ACT Motor Vehicle
- ACT Workers’ Compensation
- Comcare Guide to the Assessment of Degree of Permanent Impairment
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Family Law
- Fitness For Duty
- Life Insurance – TPD and Income Protection
- Medical Negligence
- Motor Injury Insurance Western Australia
- Public and Professional Liability
- Sexual Abuse
- Historical Sexual Abuse
- Historical Non-Sexual Abuse
- WorkSafe Victoria Independent Impairment Assessor (IIA)