He is a consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at ELMHS, Monash Health, consultant in-charge of the neurodevelopmental assessment team – the Endeavour Team – which caters to the assessment of neurodevelopmental disorders from the age group of 0-25 years, and also works with the core treatment team. Associate Professor Basu is the coordinator of the Monash University Child Psychiatry Online Registrar training programme, and Chair of Monash Neurodevelopmental Inter-disciplinary Research.
He has also had a private practice in Gippsland for more than twelve years and has adult patients he has taken care of since childhood.
Dr Basu is an Associate Professor of the Department of Psychological Medicine at Monash University.
He has keen research interests in:
- Transcultural Psychiatry including Indigenous Mental Health
- Parents with Mental Illness
- Youth Mental Health
- Early Intervention
- Developmental Trauma (including adult-out-of-childhood traumas)
- Developmental disabilities including Autism and Early Psychosis
- Internet and Gaming Addiction
- The evolution of personality disorders in youth from underlying child psychiatric conditions, including neurodevelopmental disorders and childhood trauma.
Associate Professor Basu has more than 40 published articles and has delivered many national and international presentations in his area of expertise.
He is fluent in Bengali, Hindi, Urdu and English.
Accreditations and Schemes:
- ACT Motor Vehicle Accidents
- ACT Workers’ Compensation
- Comcare Guides to the Assessment of Degree of Permanent Impairment
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Fitness For Duty
- Historical Sexual Abuse
- Historical Non – Sexual Abuse
- Life Insurance – TPD and Income Protection
- Medical Negligence
- Public and Professional Liability
- Sexual Abuse
- Victoria Transport Accidents Commission Joint Medical Examiner (JME)