Dr Fitzgerald supplemented his aviation expertise with a clinical role at Royal Hobart Emergency Department and medical review roles to industries particularly those in transport and in administration. He also served as a medical member of the Social Security Appeals Tribunal.
He is a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Aviation and Occupational Medicine at the University of Otago and the Training Program Director for remote area Australasian Faculty of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (AFOEM) trainees. He established the Occupational Medicine unit with Emirates Airlines, based in the Middle East.
Dr Fitzgerald is a Committee Member of the Australasian Society of Aerospace Medicine, the training sub-committee of Australasian Faculty of Occupational and Environmental Medicine and the Continuing Professional Development Lead of the Education Committee of AFOEM.
Accreditations and Schemes
- Worksafe Victoria Independent Impairment Assessor
- Worksafe Victoria Independent Medical Assessor
- Victoria Transport Accidents Commission
- Victoria Transport Accidents Commission Joint Medical Examiner
- SIRA NSW Workers Compensation Permanent Impairment Assessor
- NSW Personal Injury Commission Motor Vehicle Medical Expert
- SIRA NSW Motor Accident Guidelines Authorised Health Practitioner NSW (post 1 Dec 2017)
- SIRA NSW Motor Accident Assessor
- Worksafe Tasmania Permanent Impairment Assessor
- Motor Accidents Insurance Board Tasmania
- Medical Negligence
- Comcare Guide to the Assessment of Degree of Permanent Impairment
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Life Insurance – TPD and Income Protection Assessments
- Criminal Law
- Public and Professional Liability
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Ed.
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 5th Ed.
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 6th Ed.