Further to completing medical training and gaining specialist fellowship qualifications in neurosurgery, Dr Sheehy undertook advanced training in spine, vascular and skull base surgery at the National Hospital, Queen Square, London, UK. He has worked in numerous public and private facilities as a Consultant Neurosurgeon as well as having held high-profile professional positions, including Member of the Board at St Vincent’s Clinic and Chairman of Neurosurgery at St Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney, and as President of the Neurosurgical Association NSW.
Dr John Sheehy has extensive experience in transsphenoidal surgery for pituitary tumours, cervical, thoracic and lumbar surgical procedures. He is also an expert in skull base surgery having introduced the orbitozygomatic approach for middle and post fossa tumour conditions.
Dr Sheehy continues to work in private practice and undertake independent medical examinations.
Accreditations and Schemes
- SIRA NSW Workers Compensation Permanent Impairment Assessor
- SIRA NSW Motor Accident Guidelines Authorised Health Practitioner NSW (post 1 Dec 2017)
- Worksafe Queensland
- Motor Accident Injury Commission Queensland
- Motor Accident Injury Commission Joint Medical Examination Queensland
- Worksafe Tasmania Permanent Impairment Assessor
- Motor Accidents Insurance Board Tasmania
- Approved Medical Specialist Western Australia
- Motor Injury Insurance Western Australia
- Comcare Guide to the Assessment of Degree of Permanent Impairment
- Medical Negligence
- Life Insurance – TPD and Income Protection Assessments
- Criminal Law
- Public and Professional Liability
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 4th Ed.
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 5th Ed.
- American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, 6th Ed.